Thursday, March 14, 2019

Sherry's Fancy Foxes

Sherry made this adorable version quilt for her grandson's second birthday.  The fox blocks come from Elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Fox pattern, and the layout is Sherry's own.

Sherry requested my freehand wood grain quilting, and I just love the final product!

And a cozy grey flannel backing is just the right finishing touch.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Love Links

Amy brought me this fun quilt to work on.  The pattern is called Love Links by Studio 180 Designs.    Amy made this quilt for her niece's graduation, and we discussed some of my more modern pantograph patterns but nothing seemed quite right.  

The idea of all over "Loose Feathers" came to be the design of choice.  I didn't do any marking for this design.  I just let the feathers flow organically across the quilt.  It was a fun design to do and I am really pleased with the final look. 

Amy's niece loves the color pink and is a cosmetology student so fabrics were chosen accordingly.

I love to find a way to add a touch of personalization in the quilting when I can.  Adding the recipient's name in among the all over design seemed like the right touch.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Tony the Turtle


Reneta made these two darling baby quilts using the Tony the Turtle block from Elizabeth Hartman's Awesome Ocean pattern.  Both Reneta and I couldn't decide what quilting design idea we liked more so I decided to do them differently, one freehand and one with a panto.

The green turtle quilt was quilt freehand with a design I refer to as "Dwirling" that I learned from a book/video by the Pajama Quilter.  I love the addition of the lucky baby's name to the quilt top too.

For the blue turtle quilt, Reneta chose one of the new pantographs I just added to my collection and it is called "Curl and Swirl."

These are the eight new pantographs that I recently added to my collection.  I have also updated the pantograph page on my blog to include photos like these of all my pantographs that include a measuring tape across the bottom to help my clients get a better idea of the scale of the pantographs I have.

Monday, March 4, 2019

Scrappy Trip Around the World and International Exchange Round #2

This is another beautiful quilt that Reneta has made from her scraps.  She followed Bonnie Hunter 's "Scrappy Trip Around the World" free pattern.    For this one Reneta dug into her scrap flannels.  It is amazing how all of the different theme fabrics work together in this format.  In this little section you can see pine cones, flowers, Noah's ark, trees, bugs, fish, plaid.....

All this quilt needed to finish it off was a nice even textured panto.  You can't see if too well on the front, but the Lithe panto is a very nice compliment to this quilt.

If you dig into your flannels and add this many seams, the quilt will feel quite heavy for its size!

March 1st meant it was time for the reveal of out second blocks in our International Exchange with our Australian friends.  The theme this time around was Dredens.  The only requirement was the the floral fabric was used somewhere in the block.  

This is the one I made.  I don't usually go quite so scrappy, and I was excited to find 20 different fabrics to use in the Dresden blades.  I used our focus fabric in the centre.  I had never tried doing a Dresden with points on both ends, so this was fun.

Deseley made this one. I always love when someone does something I could never dream up!

Kathy and I were once again on similar wavelengths!

And Bronwyn used a mix of curved and pointed blades in hers.

Looking forward to our next assignment - Flying Geese!

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Dignity Quilt & Jelly Roll Race Variation

This is the Dignity Quilt that my quilt guild - the Crocus Quilters in Dauphin, MB made to donate to our local funeral home.  What is a Dignity Quilt?  The purpose of this quilt is to be used in places like nursing homes, when the deceased makes a public exit leaving the building on the way to the Funeral Home.  The quilt can be used to cover the stretcher, so instead of seeing a body bag being wheeled out, residents and staff can see the stretcher covered in a quilt instead.

We wanted the design to be non-denominational and to reflect our surroundings - fields, lakes and rolling hills.  We found inspiration in the book "Lovely Landscape Quilts" by Cathy Geier.

Guild members were asked to bring in 2" batik fabric strips that we would combine for the project.   Many hand were involved in the donations, cutting, layout, and sewing.  The quilt is about 55"' x 96."

I offered to quilt the final product, and the Zephyr pantograph that to me resembles wind seemed to be the perfect choice.

We didn't want any of the donated strips to go to waste, so  we came up with a creative way to use them up.  A fun variation on a Jelly Roll Race quilt.

Strips of all sizes were sewn together like you would for a jelly roll race quilt.  We don't know exactly how much fabric we started with!  It was ending up to be kind of an odd shape so we got creative.

At this point the top is twice as long as it is wide.  We first cut it in half horizontally.

Then we cut each half on the diagonal.

Rearrange the triangles and Voila!

A border was added to contain all the bias edges before quilting.

I quilted this one with the Plush pantograph.  It will make another great addition to have on hand for our guild's comfort quilt program.  Hopefully there won't be a need for it to be given out too soon.

Monday, February 18, 2019

Marilyn's Magic Tiles

This is Marilyn's lovely Magic Tiles quilt that is a gift for a lucky graduate this spring.  She chose the Raindrops pantograph which was the perfect compliment.

There is a lovely surprise that Marilyn pieced into the backing. This cross-stitched blocks was made by the recipient's great grandmother!  Marilyn has made another quilt with such a treasure and you can see it here.

I little touch that makes this gift extra special!