Monday, November 19, 2012

Fleece Lizards


 My weekend project was finishing up two baby blankets for a double baby shower that was held Sunday afternoon.  Both moms are expecting boys so I thought it would be the perfect chance to try out a quilted fleece blanket.  I used black fleece on the back of both, Lounge Lizard Panto, So Fine thread and no batting.  I love how defined the quilting looks on the two layers of fleece.



Cutting the fringe can be somewhat time consuming, but here is a tip to make the process fast and accurate.  I like a 1/2" wide and 4" long fringe on my blankets.  

Lay out the area to be fringed on a large cutting mat.


Place a second cutting mat on top of the body of your blanket right along your stitching line. 


Fold the fabric back over the second cutting mat. 


I am lucky enough to have one of these cool Shape Cut Rulers with slots for your rotary cutter spaced in 1/2" intervals.  If you don't have one of these a regular ruler will work just fine.



 


Using a sharp rotary cutter can cut your fringe.  The second cutting mat protects the body of the blanket.


 Ta Da!  You will never cut through your stitching line again!







Today is the first day of "Blogathon Canada" so check it out for lots of crafting and quilting inspiration!



2 comments:

  1. Great tip for cutting the fringes! I never thought of using a second board to prevent the cut from going too far..you so smart!!
    I used scissors on my last one as I don't have the slotted ruler but the guild does and I have borrowed it in the past. It works great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great tip Lori, I will have to remember that the next time I cut fringes
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete