Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Canadian Fabric Challenge


Each year the Crocus Quilter's Guild here is Dauphin, MB has a challenge.  Normally we are given 3 fat quarters and can making anything within the size parameter of 120" in perimeter.  Whoever wins the popular vote picks the fabric for the following year.  I won in May of 2016, you can read about that here.  Since our challenge reveal would be taking place in May of 2017, and our challenges would be on display at our local library over June and July, I thought is was the perfect opportunity to pick some Canadian themed fabric in honour of all the Canada 150 celebrations.  

 

I chose three fabrics from Northcott's Stonehenge  OH CANADA line.  I thought the flag print could be a bit challenging to work with so I added a neutral off white and a tone on tone red.


My project did not get completed in time for the reveal date so you won't see it with all of the others here.  I am very pleased with how mine finished up so I will show you some of the details.


All of the fabrics I added were coordinates from the Stonhenge line.  I really love the border fabric, and almost selected it for one of the challenge fabrics.  I thought its directional nature would be tricky to work with when you are only given a fat quarter so I opted not to.  I bought a big chunk for myself so I could use it for the border and the backing.  I decided to add curved lines for the quilting.  I was concerned that straight lines might make the text print look crooked if it was even the slightest bit off.


I stitched in the ditch around the flag print squares and  the narrow sashing and border strips.


Pebbles behind the 3-d maple leaves were the finishing touch.  I had intended to leave the leaves a little more dimensional but it didn't quite work out that way, but I am still happy.





I had a wonderful visit with Kathy back in May, and we found a few moments to take some new head shots for upcoming Highway 10 Designs projects.  We don't get to see each other very often so I'm glad we took the time to do this, these are my favorites.




1 comment:

  1. Lovely leaves, and the borders and curvy quilting are super finishes. great photo shoot of you both together, a pile of quilts on the floor, great photo setting.

    ReplyDelete