Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Storm Trooper


This Storm Trooper quilt was made by Crystal for her teenaged son.  It is dramatic and awesome!  I am not a Stars Wars fan, but I can appreciate how much this quilt will be loved by someone who is.  Below you can see this quilt on my queen sized bed.


There isn't a commercial pattern for this quilt.  Crystal got out her graph paper and pencil crayons and drew it out referencing images she saw online.  She has already had requests from other family members for one of their own!


This quilt was dramatic and perfect in its unquilted state, and I didn't want the quilting to distract from the graphic image.  I felt it was important to use black thread on the black fabric and light grey thread on the light fabrics.  So freehand quilting was a better option than a pantograph in this case.  We decided on my freehand topographic pattern and since seeing the quilt, Crystal's son said it looked like some sort of Star Wars map, so bonus there!


Crystal also found the most the most perfect flannel for the back of this quilt.





Thank you for trusting me with your show stopping quilt Crystal,  I know it will be loved!


 

2 comments:

  1. Crystal's technique with graph paper reminds me of the lovely form of filet crochet - utilizing grids of open and solid spaces.
    The flannel back is a perfect match and the quilting is beautiful. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Stormtrooper quilt. So clever. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete