Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Schoolhouse Quilt


This lovely Schoolhouse quilt was brought to me by Angela.  The top was pieced by Angela's dear friend Anne who has passed away.  Angela requested custom quilting as she felt that is how Anne would have finished it.  Anne and Angela's husband were friends and both in the Education field so this quilt holds an extra special meaning to both of them.


I sent Angela a number of quilting suggestions for the borders and she immediately loved the outer echo curve border, and the simple quilting in the HST border.  We went back and forth on the inner border and ended up with this egg and dart design.  The soft green sheet that Angela sent for the backing shows off the quilting designs perfectly!



The positive/negative fabric selections for the houses was really unique and had me scratching my head for a long time about how to handle them.  I would have loved to know Anne's vision for this quilt.  I didn't come to a final decision about the quilting on the houses until the quilt was on my machine and the border quilting was in place.  The quilting is only on the background fabric which is sometimes the background and sometimes the main body of the schoolhouse.


I had fun playing with a variety of design ideas to try to make all of the houses a little different just like all of the different fabrics Anne selected for the quilt.  I am including lots of pictures to try to let you see all the interesting features of this quilt.









 

1 comment:

  1. A true treasure in every way, your quilting has highlighted all those schoolhouses so beautifully, Anne would be truly delighted.Between Angela, Anne's husband and yourself, memories all right there.

    ReplyDelete