Sunday, April 24, 2022

Conway Album




The absolutely amazing work of art was made by Leslie. The quilt is called the Conway Album (I'm not from Baltimore) and is from a book published in the 1990s.  Leslie began this quilt in class taught by Marlene Reimer and she said it has likely been in the works for over 20 years. 



When I unfolded this quilt top I was taken aback by all of the unique details in the hand embroidery and the intricate borders.  I was impressed by the workmanship that went into making this and truly a bit overwhelmed that this beauty was left in my hands for custom quilting. I'm not sure my pictures will do this quilt justice but maybe a large quantity of photos will help you appreciate it.


My first task was to look at all of the different elements in the layout out of this quilt and come up with a quilting plan that would enhance the top without overdoing it, and try to keep the quilting even so that the quilt with lay nicely.


I decided to quilt around the applique in the blocks and centre and then do an echo pattern to fill the blocks.  The tiny saw tooth border that framed the blocks was stitched in the ditch.



The large green setting triangles received a feather motif.


And the swag border received a complementary feather motif.


The white border to the inside of the swags received bead board, and the outer white section received branching curls.



Here are some closeup that show the 3d parts of the floral embroidery.






And now a parade of pictures to show you more of the front and back of the magnificent quilt.





















2 comments:

  1. Oh My!!! This is surely the most detailed quilt ever, your finishing stitches added to the glory.I do hope it is a keeper, and seen every day.

    ReplyDelete