Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Kool Kaleidoscope


Colleen made this fun version of Ricky Tims' Kool Kaleidoscope pattern.  Originally Colleen thought that she would quilt this herself as it isn't overly large, but the unique shape of the yellow corners had Colleen stumped and she decided she would rather have me do the quilting instead.


Figuring out a plan for the corners had me scratching my head,  so I sent a picture to Desley who had done a lot of custom quilting over the years and  her doodles gave me some new ideas that led to this corner design.


I quilted simple petal shapes in the centre star using the seam lines as my guide.  The bold batik colours hid my thread a lot of the time so I was able to use a golden yellow colour throughout the whole quilt.


I repeated the motifs from the corners in the different colored sesctions, adding lines, curls and circles as well as a few more petals.



Last but not least I added a beadboard design to the outer border to frame the whole piece.


And fun didn't stop on the front - check out the backing Colleen provided!


1 comment:

  1. When I was a child I had a wooden kaleidoscope, and remember twirling it round to see the different patterns. It doesn't take much to jog that memory, and this is a superbly stunning rendition. The quilting gives it extra special detail.Wonderful !!!!!

    ReplyDelete