Thursday, November 9, 2023

Prairie Meadow


This beautiful quilt was made by Marlene.  The pattern is Prairie Meadow by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet.


All of the blocks are hand appliqued, and as always Marlene's work is just amazing.  Marlene had a vision for how she wanted this one quilted - with an edge to edge design!  Normally my heart would break at the thought of stitching across someone's beautiful hand applique, and I'm sure I asked Marlene if she was sure multiple times, but I do believe there is always more than one way to quilt a quilt.


I have to say Marlene's vision was the right thing.  The Bora Bora pantograph hold things together and doesn't detract from the top that has so much to look at.  We used a very pale green thread that is visible across the top.


The edge to edge design is a much more economical choice and allowed Marlene to add a cozy fireside backing to the quilt.  (Fireside can be a little thick for me to do a lot of ruler work successfully).




Does seeing this quilt change you mind about stitching over applique in certain circumstances?  It certainly opened my eyes!




 

1 comment: