Daughter #2 recently purchased a tenor ukulele for herself and the store did not have any cases to fit so she had been carrying it around in the cardboard box it came in. I had to fix that! This was one of those "make it up as you go along" projects, but I am really happy with how it turned out.
This fabric has been sitting in my stash for a long time. I'm not sure why I purchased it originally. It might have been a super deal when a local quilt store was closing down. At any rate, it felt perfect for my hippe girl. I popped the fabric on the longarm and instead of regular batting I used a product called "Annie's Soft and Stable" between my lining and top fabrics. It really does not require quilting, but I wanted to accent the flowers in the fabric.
I cut out a front and back about half and inch bigger than the ukulele. I made a few of the curves a little more gradual.
I decided that the zipper just needed to be at the bottom of the case, instead of all the way around, so I made the zipper section of the side panel first. After if was complete I cut more side sections and experimented until I had just the right length to fit the case back.
Wonder clips were perfect to hold the sections together and take them to the sewing machine without stabbing myself.
A little test fit to make sure I was on the right track before adding the second side.
Here you can see the case inside out. To make the inside neat and tidy I bound the edges just like I would for a quilt. I cut 2 1/4" strips of binding and folded and sewed one edge down and flipped it over and sewed it down by machine. I'm glad I decided to have the binding on the inside of the case instead of the outside, (and that I didn't use a contrasting fabric) as it was tricky to keep it totally neat with the bulk in the binding and the firmness of the case fighting me. I am more than happy for the lining, but it would take a little more practise for the outside of a project.
This was the first time I used Annie's Soft and Stable, but I will use it for any quilted bags that I make. It is easy to work with a has a great amount of body. Happy customer.
I added a handle and ta da! Ukulele case done!