Monday, December 5, 2016

Ukulele Case


Daughter #2 recently purchased a tenor ukulele for herself and the store did not have any cases to fit so she had been carrying it around in the cardboard box it came in.  I had to fix that!  This was one of those "make it up as you go along" projects, but I am really happy with how it turned out.


This fabric has been sitting in my stash for a long time.  I'm not sure why I purchased it originally.  It might have been a super deal when a local quilt store was closing down.  At any rate, it felt perfect for my hippe girl. I popped the fabric on the longarm and instead of regular batting I used a product called "Annie's Soft and Stable" between my lining and top fabrics.   It really does not require quilting, but I wanted to accent the flowers in the fabric.


I cut out a front and back about half and inch bigger than the ukulele.  I made a few of the curves a little more gradual.

 

I decided that the zipper just needed to be at the bottom of the case, instead of all the way around, so I made the zipper section of the side panel first.  After if was complete I cut more side sections and experimented until I had just the right length to fit the case back.  


Wonder clips were perfect to hold the sections together and take them to the sewing machine without stabbing myself.


A little test fit to make sure I was on the right track before adding the second side.


Here you can see the case inside out.  To make the inside neat and tidy I bound the edges just like I would for a quilt.  I cut 2 1/4" strips of binding and folded and sewed one edge down and flipped it over and sewed it down by machine.  I'm glad I decided to have the binding on the inside of the case instead of the outside, (and that I didn't use a contrasting fabric) as it was tricky to keep it totally neat with the bulk in the binding and the firmness of the case fighting me.  I am more than happy for the lining, but it would take a little more practise for the outside of a project.



This was the first time I used Annie's Soft and Stable, but I will use it for any quilted bags that I make.  It is easy to work with a has a great amount of body.  Happy customer.



I added a handle and ta da!  Ukulele case done!







4 comments:

  1. Wonderful job. It will keep that special instrument super safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sure to be a winner, fabulous fabric, and what a way to do the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uau!Very Nice !! hey can you sell the pattern?

    ReplyDelete