Monday, September 9, 2019

Atomic Starburt

 

September is upon us and I am finally starting to feel organized after our move from Dauphin, MB to Selkirk, MB at the beginning of August.  There are still boxes to unpack and pictures to hang, but it is feeling better everyday.  In between unpacking and trying to find time to enjoy some summer activities, we moved daughter #2 in to residence at the University of Manitoba for her first year, so our new home is also feeling the effects of an empty nest.  I am happy to finally share Kendra's grad/dorm room quilt!

 
The pattern is called Atomic Starburst by Violet Craft.  I added more blocks to the original pattern so that it would be more of a single bed size. Kendra and I looked at many examples of this pattern with heavy custom quilting, but somehow that just didn't feel right for us.  Freehand wavy lines let the pattern and fabrics shine. The stars and diamonds are Alison Glass Sunrprints by Andover, background is Simply Neutral by Northcott, and the wide backing is Rhoda Ruth by Robert Kaufman.


I always love to add some personalization in the quilting when I can.  I interrupted the wavy lines to add these details.




I made two throw pillow covers from some of the leftovers. I loosely followed this Diamond Lattice Pillow tutorial from sewswetness.com I think they turned out pretty cute and were really easy.


Here is a close up of the quilting on those.  I wanted the diamonds to pop so I added tight u-turns in the sashing.


And here you can see the ensemble in action!





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful dorm quilt. I like the free feeling in the quilting as well. Enjoy your new adventure at U of Manitoba Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt ! And a super clever use of all the scraps to make pillows- I am positive that your student daughter will use these the most.

    ReplyDelete