Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Rose Anne's Scrappy Triangles


Rose Anne brought this lovely quilt in for some custom quilting.  A few members of my local quilt guild got inspired to do some paper piecing and followed The Year of Scrappy Triangles blog post by Leila Gardunia.  https://www.leilagardunia.com/blog/year-of-scrappy-triangles   I had seen some photos of this quilt as Rose Anne was working on it and had thought her chosen background was black, but it is actually a beautiful deep green!  It is a lovely compliment to all the batiks she found in her stash.


Initially I thought feathers would be the perfect suggestion for the green strips, but I just could not get them flowing nicely to the inner green border. Everything I tried looked really awkward at some point. When I suggested the echo curve design for the outer border and the center strips, Rose Anne loved the idea and the rest of the design fell into place quickly after that.


The gold border received large curls, the inner green border an oak leaf and curl, and the paper pieced triangles received some branching curls.  I always try to repeat motifs somewhere in the custom quilting so that the quilt feels cohesive at the end.


I used an olive green thread for everything but the oakleaf border.  There I switched to more of a rusty gold thread to make it stand out a little bit more and add a bit of interest.





No comments:

Post a Comment