I am going to do things a little differently today. I will show you the back first. The was a super-sized snow dyed mandala that I made to coordinate with the quilt top.
And now the front. This was an old UFO dating back to 2010. The pattern is called "Stars for Audrey". This was made for my youngest daughter Kendra, and if you have met her, you know these bold colors suit her.
This one had sat un-quilted for a longtime. I knew I wanted to custom quilt it and match the thread to the fabrics, but I was stumped for the longest time on how to approach it. When I let go of the idea of filling all the purple the same way the ideas started to flow. Since the "client" is around everyday she offered some very strong opinions of her likes and dislikes as I was doodling, and that really helped settle the ideas. She really wanted the feathers and crosshatching.
A slightly different treatment for the yellow stars and the pink.
And a linear border design to compliment its unique shape.
One thing I was concerned about was getting the backing star centered to the front of the quilt. I am very pleased with how well that worked out. I was also a little concerned that the quilting would not be pleasing over the snow dyed back, but I didn't need to worry over that either. Kendra thinks she may reverse and use it both ways from time to time.