Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Joys of Summer

 Summer is fleeting.  I am trying to enjoy it before it is totally gone.  I'll show you a little quilting first.  This is the smallest piece I have ever put on my longarm. I could have easily done this on my sewing machine, but it would have taken me longer to get it set up, than to get it quilted! I decided to try some swirls ala Angela Walters.


This became a new pencil case for Kendra to take to school.  I used this free pattern & tutorial from Craft Passion.  I really like the internal gusset, but those corners were not a fun time!


The girls chose an interesting menu for their supper night last week.  They wanted boiled eggs and cinnamon buns!?!  They thought they would add berries and cream and some sausages to complete the meal.  I was a little worried about the idea of cinnamon buns, but I didn't want to discourage them, so I found a recipe with enough instructions that I thought would be manageable.  I did check in on the dough before they let it rise, but they really did it themselves. They turned out great.  Hopefully there will be a repeat performance of this one!



We spent last night on the lake.  It was the perfect evening.  Nolan caught 4 pickerel - 2 were too big to keep, but we will all get a taste at supper tonight!




And some harvesting and canning from the garden.





Here is my recipe for Crab Apple Juice.  If you have a bountiful tree like I do, it is one of the easiest things you can make.  I think we did 6 batches which resulted in 27 quarts of juice - glad this one is done and that my a/c was working!

Crab Apple Juice

12 cups crab apples (or whatever apple grows in your yard)
5 tsp. cream of tartar
20 cups water
sugar to taste (1 - 1 1/2 cups)

  1. Wash whole crab apples.
  2. Remove stems and blossom ends, cut into halves or quarters.
  3. Sprinkle cream of tartar over apples.
  4. Pour boiling water over apples and let stand for 24 - 36 hours.
  5. Drain liquid through five sieve, or cheesecloth.
  6. Bring liquid to a boil and add sugar to taste.  This will depend on the sweetness of your apples.
  7. Boil for 10 - 20 minutes.  Seal in jars.
This has definitely become a family favorite, especially if someone feels a cold coming on.




2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog through Kathy's at Tamarack Shack. The quilt ladder is one I need too.

    These evening lake sunset photos are just lovely!

    Will spend more time reading your blog... I've bookmarked it into my morning cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun! Love the crab apple juice venture. :)

    ReplyDelete