Monday, February 25, 2013

What I've been up to lately

I spent the early part of last week reorganizing all of my fabric and notions (that was no small feat!) I purged, then sorted and refolded every piece of fabric I own.  I came across a piece of fabric that was just the right size for a roman blind for the downstairs bedroom.  I made it using the guts from a commercial mini blind.  There are many tutorials out there, but I found this one quite helpful.



This old dresser has been used in many places over the years.  I believe it was in Nolan's room when he was a baby.  It was in our baby's room and now it houses my thread and pantos.  Nolan helped me add a removable ironing surface to the top.  Birch plywood, batting and 1/2m of fabric leftover from a kit somewhere along the way.  I am really enjoying this latest recycling project.  


  I also completed the last block in the Curve it Up Quilt Along - the Dresden Plate.


Here is the first block in the the Bullas Bears Block of the Month Quilt. It is called "Joy Bearer". There is a little more embellishing that will happen after quilting.  Snowflake buttons and some shading on the bear's cheeks and muzzle.  This pattern is found in the Quilt Pattern Magazine.  It is designed by Nan Baker, and is based on the artwork of Will Bullas.


And the basement... we have decided to hold off on the flooring in the studio until the rest of the basement is ready for flooring.  This weekend consisted of some paneling removal.  Remove the paneling and what do we find?  The chimney clean out for the living room fireplace!  Even though we don't have intentions of using the wood burning fireplace, I think we will leave it accessible!



And the framing and drywalling of the bulk head.

 

I was enlisted to assist with the drywall.  (I do help occasionally.)


 Apparently I seemed a little weak and shaky, so for the second sheet I was replaced....


My job became just getting the T into place.

  All in all, not a bad week!



2 comments:

  1. Looking good---the basement, that is. How much purging could you do? It has been only a little over a year since the big move. It had to have been theraputic to refold and plan as you sorted. Maybe some day I will do the same. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new ironing station! The basement is going to look great when all this work is done. Nice to see you pitching in and using your head :)

    ReplyDelete