Friday, February 14, 2014

Lug Nuts - A New Pattern!

I am so very excited to share the latest pattern from Highway 10 Designs - Lug Nuts.  This one has been under development for a long time, so it is great to see it become a reality.


Kathy and I had a pretty good idea of what we wanted this pattern to look like back in the end of September. She was here in Dauphin at our Quilt Show we saw the precuts of the Moda fabric line "Little Black Dress 2" and we knew it would be perfect.  We had to wait until the end of January for the yardage to be available in stores, but it was worth it.  Shopping via email and photos isn't quite the same as being there in person and together, but Shari at Road 17 N was super in helping us narrow it down to these nine fabrics.


This time out it was Kathy's turn to piece and quilt our cover girl. I would have loved to sneak over to Kathy's for a sew-in, but our 500+km distance did not make that feasible so emails with lots of photos would have to do.

Which panto is your favorite?

 In this pattern, we have included instructions for everything including the binding.  I would say this pattern would be good for a confident beginner onward. The only thing that you might not already own is a 10" -  60 Degree Triangle Ruler.  We both have the Clearview 60 Degree Triangle.


It might be a little difficult to get a sense of the scale of these hexagons - they really are super-sized!  The finished quilt is 82" x 88" and those hexagons are more than 20" across.  They certainly make a statement, and you will be surprised how quickly the whole thing will come together.  We used 3 cream, 3 grey and 3 black fabrics for this quilt, but it could easily be made using a larger variety of fabrics for a more scrappy look.



I always love a little surprise on the back of a quilt, and we found a way to incorporate the leftover pieces.


We decided that a nice even pantograph was exactly what this quilt was calling for.  "Fascination" was the choice.


I thought it would be interesting to see what this quilt might look like in a totally different colorway so I finished up this runner made out of some prototype blocks.


Instead of an allover design for the quilting I played with all sorts of different motifs.  Quite a few of them, like those curly hearts, I hadn't tried before and this was the perfect chance to experiment.




The downloadable pdf version of Lug Nuts is available in either our Etsy Store or our Craftsy Store.  Paper copies will be arriving soon!


I just couldn't resist this last photo!


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations. "Lug Nuts"- what a perfect name. Your photo backdrop is perfect for your runner as well. I already have the 8 1/2" 60 degree triangle so I see some pattern adaption in my future. The smaller size will be easier for me to quilt on my machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I love this - I want to make one!! I love that section down the back too - that is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete