Sunday, October 8, 2017

Winter Wonderland


The exquisite quilt belongs to Gail.  The pattern is "Winter Wonderland" by Crabapple Hill Studio.  Gail's mom did the embroidery in green rather than the red of the original pattern and Gail pieced the border blocks and put the top together.   


I must say the embroidery was impeccably done and it was truly an honor to get to work on this one!  I looked online for other examples of how this quilt was quilted, and found most to be densely custom quilted.  When I shared these with Gail, they didn't mesh with her vision for the quilt.  We discussed many options, but in the end, a simple pantograph called "Bora Bora" was Gail's choice.  I can see a cold north wind blowing across the quilt, and it lets the embroidery be the star.



I used Superior's Microquilter thread which a fine, but strong 100 wt. thread to quilt across embroidery and all.  I am very pleased with the results.  


 This is definitely a quilt that will remain a family treasure!








2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, the green is perfect, love the embroidery, and the quilting doesn't over-shadow any part at all. I thought when I first read your title, snow had arrived!!!

    ReplyDelete