I recently quilted this cheerful quilt for Michelle. The colorful squares are from Hoffman Batiks and were sold a few years back under the name "Bali Tiles." I was stumped as to how to quilt the tiles for awhile as I didn't want to take away from their crisp designs. There weren't too many quilted examples out on the web. Of the few I saw, the tiles designs were outlined and echoed, but that didn't feel right for this quilt. I took a few photos of the quilt top and started doodling on my favorite app "Draw on Photos." I decided simple on the tiles and some feathers in the solid black might be the perfect balance. I sent my doodle off to Michelle and she gave me the go ahead.
Here you can see the final result. Michelle provided a poly batt and the quilting showed up well, especially with batiks on both the front and back. I used a grey Microquilter thread over the tiles. You can see I changed up my designs for the cornerstones as I didn't want to have dark purple thread on the white squares.
Those black triangles were calling for me to play in them. I used a variegated purple Fantastico thread which shows up well but doesn't draw too much attention to itself.
I was pleasantly surprised at the pattern that emerged on the back.