Thursday, September 26, 2019

Boomerang




Eileen made this queen size version of Boomerang by Jaybird Quilts.  It is a gift for her nephew.  Eileen used the same fabrics as the cover of the pattern and wondered about having me do some custom quilting as if would show up so well on the solid fabrics.




We different quilting options including custom, and pantographs.  I asked her if her nephew would would appreciate the extra effort and cost of custom quilting.  She was pretty sure he wouldn't notice.  His mom was also sure he wouldn't notice!  So instead we focused on choosing a quilting design with a masculine feel that complimented the piecing.  Vertical wavy lines was the choice and I think it is a winner!


I am a handguided long arm quilter - no computer here, so I chalked the one line on the quilt to make sure I had what I saw in my head, and then I just echoed freehand for the rest of the quilt. There are variations, but I don't mind that as it feels hand made, not mass produced.


Eileen chose a navy Stonehenge backing from the selection I have on hand and I think it compliments it nicely.







No comments:

Post a Comment