Sunday, February 19, 2023

Global Migration


I am happy to share one of my own quilts today! The Global Migration pattern was originally written by Anne Reimer for Make Modern Magazine.  Anne passed away from cancer in 2020.  Her niece Janice revised the pattern to use some different techniques and has it available through her shop Prairie and Ocean as a "Pay what you want" item with 100% of the proceeds being donated to the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation.  The pattern is for a 60" x 60" throw size that I made into a Queen size with extra borders to allow the design to float.


I made this quilt for my daughter and son-in-law.  They were married in the summer of 2021 when gathering size restrictions were a large source of stress for many couples.  They decided to scale the size of their wedding way back to 35 guests in order to ensure they could proceed on their chosen date.  The background fabric in the quilt is repurposed from the Essex linen table runners that I made as part of their wedding decorations.


Kyla snd I went shopping for the additional fabrics at her new local quilt shop in Yorkton, Saskatchewan -Modern Stitch Co. We didn’t stick to one line but selected random prints from Cotton and Steel and Ruby Star. 


yla selected the Come Dance With Me pantograph for her quilt and I think it covered all the big open areas very nicely. 


I had the opportunity to quilt Christne's version of the Global Migration pattern back in 2020.  I love her version and the totally different quilting plan we went with.  Check it out here.  



It felt great to give the fabric a new life, but using that much linen in a queen size quilt sure makes it hefty!





No comments:

Post a Comment