Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Lost City

This is Carol's Lost City Quilt.  It is a free pattern for the new Moda fabric line "Cuzco" by Kate Spain.  You can find it here. (Carol has the fabric at her store.)  I have to admit the the acres of open white spaces had me stumped for awhile, but I am very pleased with the final result.  Deciding what to quilt is always the hardest part.  Once you get that figured out the rest is play time.



I snuck into the neighbour's front yard to take advantage of all the fresh maple leaves on the ground for this photo shoot.  As you can see the leaves were raining down as I took the pictures.


I decided on diagonal lines in the colored portions, and simple curls in the border and sashing strips.



 A double whimsical feather follows the shape of the piecing and gives some movement to the white areas.


I always like to know what the back looks like too.


 I don't always remember to take a before shot, but it is nice to look back and see how much quilting changes the look.



4 comments:

  1. I am impressed, I too was wondering what you were going to do with that. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you've quilted it; the feathers are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Dauphin, this quilt turned out beautifully!! Carol will be one happy lady. When i designed that pattern, i was thinking that it's really a collaboration between the person who pieces the fabric and the person who does the quilting that makes a quilt so special. I was hoping both could be highlighted equally in this design -- and you have done just that! Beautiful work. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilting design for this quilt! I agree...figuring that part is the hardest...then it's play time!! I like your different feathers...adds extra interest and fun. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete