Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January Recap


I'll start with a photo of a quilt to prove that I still do that occasionally!  January was a busy and fun month.  New adventures made the month fly by!  I was lucky to have a visit from my friend and business partner Kathy, along with Aussie quilter Desley of Addicted to Quilts.  Desley wanted to experience a real Canadian winter and Kathy was her guide for 10 days.  


We took Desley and Kathy out to our humble abode on on the ice of Lake Dauphin.  Desley was so excited when we drove the truck out on the ice!  It was a good cold day, but a wood fire in the shack makes everything okay.


We bundled Desley up and she was experiencing the challenges of walking on the ice in bulky unfamiliar clothes.  Even though we had next to no snow on the ice after some freezing rain the week before, Nolan took her for a spin on our snowmobile.


Kathy had great luck and pulled up a nice fish before I even got my hook in the water!  (Must have been the extra special way I baited her hook!)



Our friends Genny and George have a bigger shack where we could all visit and have lunch together.  George fried up freshly caught fish and here are Genny and I heating up the wieners and beans!


Kathy, Desley and I even found a little time to talk quilting and played on the longarm a bit  It is always interesting to see how another quilter approaches a design.



The following weekend my family headed to Winnipeg to see Come From Away at the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre.  It was AMAZING!!!   It tells the story of what happened the week after September 11, when 38 planes and 7000 passengers landed in the small town of Gander, Newfoundland.  Laughter and many tears!   If a production of this show comes anywhere close to you I strongly urge you to go see it.  I would have stayed and saw it again if there were tickets!
Here is a glimpse:


I have also been learning the ins and outs of my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker that I got for Christmas.  It was a bit intimidating at first, but I am enjoying it a lot.  Lava cakes, ribs, Mongolian chicken, orzo, rice, soup, dulche de leche - all have been successful!



And I was also lucky enough to teach a workshop for the Roblin Jewel Quilters on our Highway 10 Designs pattern - Lug Nuts.  I didn't get any photos, but the ladies were awesome and I really enjoyed teaching.  I have taught little things at my quilt guild here and there, but this was my first time doing a full day workshop and I look forward to the next opportunity.


Oh, and quilting, yes I snuck in a bit of that too!  This is Vanda's version of the Labyrinth quilt.



Vanda used mostly oriental fabrics, so we used a gold Magnifico thread and the Fascination panto.












No comments:

Post a Comment