Thursday, February 11, 2021

Giant Dahlia for Kyla



This quilt was actually made by ME for my daughter Kyla as a present for her University graduation.  She was involved in the pattern selection, color choices and layout which was a lot of fun.  I would never have chosen a burgundy and green color palette without it being a request! 



The layout was totally designed with consideration as to how it would look on a queen sized bed.  We included a lot of open space for my best custom quilting and to place as many feathers as possible (also her request).


I borrowed the Giant Dahlia template set & pattern from my friend Kathy.  She had made the quilt a number of years ago and assured me it went together easily.  The pattern and templates are from Australian designer Michelle Yeo.  The Dahlia centre finishes at 60". 



The centre of the Dahlia is a bit intimidating with 16 seams coming together!  I was reasonably pleased with how it came together but there was quite a lump.  Kathy had warned me about this, and had a solution so I decided to follow her lead and applique a small circle over the centre for durability and it also allowed me to trim away some of the bulk.

  

The circle in the centre worked well with the quilting motif I ended up chosing as well.


Now for my favorite part - the quilting!  I decided on one repeating motif for all of the Dahlia petals.



I love the pattern that the motif created on the back of the quilt.


I had a plan for the border quilting right from the start.  The borders were just the right size for some fun curling feathers.

  

      

The part of the quilt that would live on the pillow area wasn't really a focal point, but I wanted it to blend with the rest of the quilting so I quilted flowing feathers in the same style as the border quilting.




And last but certainly not least is the frame around the Dahlia.  I knew I wanted this area to be special as it sits on the corners of the bed and would never be hidden.  I added a floral motif with branching feathers and filled the background with pebbles.  I like how it is different but complimentary to the rest of the feathers in the quilt.





With the loosened Covid restrictions Kyla was finally able to come by and see the finished quilt and take it to her home.  We were both extremely happy with the end result.  Kyla is getting married is 2021 and has suggested that I not make a wedding quilt at this time so she can just enjoy this one.





3 comments:

  1. WOW! This is just beyond gorgeous. Kyla is extremely lucky to have such a fine example of her Mom's artistry. My heart is aflutter with the feather and pebbles combination. Congratulations, Kyla on your accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a great design and then the quilting, out of this world, a gift of a lifetime, and I am so sure your daughter will love this immensely.

    ReplyDelete