Monday, July 11, 2022

Around the Island - A Custom Adaptation


Reneta was commissioned to make this quilt after a friend of hers saw the "Around the Island" quilt that she made for herself last year.  Check that quilt out here - it is still one of my favorite quilts that I got to add quilting to!


The pattern is called "Around the Island" and is in the book called The Quilted Stash by Ralph Jarvis and Corey Follett featuring Newfoundland inspired projects.  Upon request Reneta replaced the island image in the centre of the quilt with the sailboat silhouette.  My understanding is that this quilt is destined to live on a sailboat!  The other special request was the quilting around the perimeter of the quilt, but more on that later.


Reneta let me run with the quilting plan for the body of the quilt.  I framed the sailboat section with some straight lines and filled the inner section with designs that mimic the wind and the waves.  I used a medium grey thread for this section.


The rest of the body of the quilt was filled with the Harbor Wave pantograph in a deep teal colour.


The prints on the front of the quilt as well as this fabulous wide backing are all prints from the Journey fabric line from Northcott.   The black is the Northcott Colorworks Solid in Ultra Black. A perfect for this quilt don't you think?


The request for the quilting around the perimeter was to include the lyrics to the chorus of a favorite song - Wave Over Wave.  With just a little preplanning, this worked out quite easily.  I did have to take the quilt off and turn is as I cannot write upside down or sideways with my longarm! I do however quite enjoy adding cursive handwriting to quilts.

Here are the lyrics that are included in the next few pictures. 

Where it's wave over wave sea over bow

I'm as happy a man as the sea will allow

There's no other life for a sailor like me

Than to sail the salt sea boys to sail the sea

There's no other life but to sail the salt sea









This was a fun project to work on.  Just enough challenge to keep me on my toes and a one of a kind quilt for a lucky guy.





 

1 comment:

  1. Unique in every way.The fabrics, design, inside quilting, and then along came the border words, what a fantastic finish.

    ReplyDelete