Wednesday, September 1, 2021

I'm still here....

It has been over two months since there has been any activity here.  I have busy quilting for my clients and enjoying my summer filled with fishing and camping and my oldest daughter's wedding!  Sitting down to edit photos and post them never seemed to make it to the top of the priority list.  Now that September has arrived I decided that I better make an attempt to get caught up in sharing some of the wonderful quilts that have visited my studio in the last few months!  Starting the catch up phase with four beauties today...


First up is Glen's Woodland Daybreak quilt.  The colour palette is beachy and serene and just so soothing.  Glen and Angela decided on the the Fascination pantograph and it was just what this elegant quilt needed.



Next is this cozy quilt that Mary made for her adult son.  The rich colours and matching minkee backing are very inviting.  



Mary chose the London Fog pantograph, and asked if I could add in a little personalization as well.  I love an opportunity to add a little something extra to one of my client's quilts.  I added some handwriting in one of the sashing rows that reads " Made with extra love, Mum 2021"  Mary shared that her son always asked her if the cookies that she baked were "made with extra love?"  I loved the story and was happy to make the request a reality.



Gay sent over this lovely nautical wall-hanging for a simple all over finish with the Breath of the gods pantograph.  The hardest part was choosing a thread color that looked good both the navy and light sections.  I ended up with a caramel colour that was similar to the highlights in the fabrics. 


And last but not least was this lovely applique quilt from Lenore.  Lenore said this quilt was about 30 years in the making, so she was happy to finally have it ready to be quilted.  


Lenore requested custom quilting for her project.  The applique was a mix of needle turn and machine styles.  I sent Lenore some doodles of a variety of different background fills, and she loved the look of a simple stipple.  I did not not stitch in the ditch around the applique, I just went close to it with the  background fill.  This was a less time consuming and therefore  more cost effective option that still provided a lovely finish.  There is always more that one way to quilt a quilt, and sometimes less is the right decision.



Lenore's choice of the solid purple border fabric was the perfect place for a feather border that added a little something extra.   

The quilting shows up so well on the solid light backing fabric.  The dark purple thread in the border and the white bobbin thread behaved really well too!










No comments:

Post a Comment