Tuesday, January 21, 2014

BQ


This lovely quilt belongs to Dorothy.  It is made from a pattern by Maple Island Quilts called "BQ".  It is a great way to use large scale prints. When I brought this quilt upstairs for its photo shoot I was amazed at how great it looked in my living room - great with my purple wall, and on my couch too!


 Dorothy requested a panto for this quilt and she left it up to her friend Sherry and I to decide which one.  We went with "Fascination".  It shows nicely on the back here.


The hardest part of this quilt was deciding on a thread color.  I didn't want to take away from the prints or the beige and black framing.  Too light a color jumps out on the black and disappears in the beige, too dark a color looks messy on the lights.  I wanted a color thread was present on all the fabrics, but that didn't call attention to itself.  The winner was this green. Probably one of the "ugliest on the spool" colors I own (So Fine #489), but it fit the bill.  When you are unsure give an ugly green a try, the results can be amazing!







5 comments:

  1. Ha, I have that "Ugly" thread too. Amazing how good it is.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this quilt made with the black and white background and print squares. It looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! I'm with you on thread choice - sometimes that odd color thread is just the ticket for blending with the darks and lights. And I am a big fan of So Fine thread - really sinks into the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have known about that "ugly" green? It's perfect on this - thanks for sharing, as I wouldn't have thought of doing that. You're right about this quilt looking amazing in your home.

    ReplyDelete