Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Stars for Kendra

I am going to do things a little differently today.  I will show you the back first.  The was a super-sized snow dyed mandala that I made to coordinate with the quilt top.

And now the front.  This was an old UFO dating back to 2010.  The pattern is called "Stars for Audrey".  This was made for my youngest daughter Kendra, and if you have met her, you know these bold colors suit her.



 These two pictures probably show the most accurate colors of the fabric, although you really can't see the quilting.  The border fabric and the squares were a commercial batik and the rest are my hand dyes.  I ordered the batik online and the colors were not was I was expecting, so I decided to make it work and dye some fabric that did match.


This one had sat un-quilted for a longtime.  I knew I wanted to custom quilt it and match the thread to the fabrics, but I was stumped for the longest time on how to approach it.  When I let go of the idea of filling all the purple the same way the ideas started to flow.  Since the "client" is around everyday she offered some very strong opinions of her likes and dislikes as I was doodling, and that really helped settle the ideas.  She really wanted the feathers and crosshatching.


 A slightly different treatment for the yellow stars and the pink.
 

And a linear border design to compliment its unique shape.

One thing I was concerned about was getting the backing star centered to the front of the quilt.  I am very pleased with how well that worked out.  I was also a little concerned that the quilting would not be pleasing over the snow dyed back, but I didn't need to worry over that either.  Kendra thinks she may reverse and use it both ways from time to time.



7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Lori. Kendra is a lucky girl. What a special treasure for her. I adore the custom quilting. Great job. Enjoy its warmth, Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra must be excite to finally have her quilt finished and the back is gorgeous! Must have been fun to have the client is so handy to consult with. :)
    Love the hook feathers and the linear quilting in the outer border!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! Love the quilting, love the mandala back and it's centered perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Kendra's quilt! Even the feathers --slowly I'm learning to like feathers! Looking forward to seeing this quilt in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great quilt and the quilting too! I'm amazed at the backing you did. I would use it both ways too! It's always amazing to me when I'm stuck on deciding how to quilt a top and then one thing changes, usually in my mind about what I 'think' I should do, and wham-o the ideas start. Congratulations on finishing it so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Kendra, the backside should get some front-side attention now and then! Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt and quilting, gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete