Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cactus Star



This gorgeous wall hanging belongs to Bev. The pattern is called Cactus Star and it comes from the Mar/April 2013 edition of McCalls Quilting Magazine.  (You can find the foundation piecing template here.)  The original layout comes out at 60" x 60" and that was a little too big for Bev's house so she altered the layout to make it a more manageable 48" x 48".


The stars were quilted very similar to the original in the magazine. The background is where I had to get more creative to figure out how to handle all the different shapes.  A mix of lines and pebbles and curls and some open areas seemed to be the answer.




These open spaces in the corner had me stumped for the longest time.  I decided to take a cue from the border fabric that I new Bev loved.


I few chalk markings to give me some boundaries.


The result:



One of my all time favorite borders - the curved echo frames the piece nicely.


And a few more pictures, just because I can!

 



3 comments:

  1. Great idea to add the flowers in the background. I like how you used the cardboard to isolate your quilting areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Lori - those "daisy" flowers are the perfect touch for those corners! Gorgeous quilt and quilting!

    ReplyDelete